Display connector types


When working with pen displays tablets you'll encounter lots of different connector types. This is a visual map of those connectors.


  • the "male" end is called the plug

  • the "female" end is called the receptacle

HDMI connectors

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

DisplayPort connectors

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Normal-sized DisplayPort connectors

Mini-DisplayPort connectors

USB-C connectors

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

The important thing to remember about USB-C is that it is a popular connector type, but it often not clear what a given cable or port support. For example:

  • Some ports and cables support power only

  • Some ports and cables support power + data

  • Some ports and cables support power + data + display signal

  • Some ports may not deliver as much power as you need

  • Some cables may not support as much power as you need

Thunderbolt 3 and 4 connectors

Thunderbolt 3 and 4 use the same USB-C port shape.

The important thing about thunderbolt cables and ports is that they are required to carry a display signal. So, if your USB

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Thunderbolt 2 connectors

Thunderbolt 2 connectors use the min-DisplayPort connector type. And again by definition they can carry a display signal.

USB-A connectors

USB-A ports are not used to provide a display signal. They are being listed here as a reference so you know what they look like compared to the other USB ports.

Other resources

Last updated